Jesus and His earliest disciples were dangerous about the Truth! We should be no different!

Friday, January 17, 2014

This is the Year to Study God's Word with a Renewed Passion & Purpose

Have you committed yourself to studying the Bible intensively this year with the goal of getting to know God on a much deeper level?

If you have been frustrated with your pursuit for one reason or another in recent years, you are not alone. I have been there many times (especially in the Old Testament). While I have been able to read through the New Testament dozens of times since the age of 15, I have struggled in my study of the only Bible Jesus knew and read on earth.

I stumbled across Learn the Bible in 24 Hours about a year ago. I just finished it and found that its exemplary ratings/reviews online were warranted. What an ambitious title for a brilliant volume of work!

By the way, I understand that the title almost seems like blasphemy, but I assure you this 300+ page text delivers! It will accomplish its purpose, which is to launch you like a rocket into a far deeper study and love of Yahweh and His plans for you from the moment you read the 1st chapter.

The depth of wisdom and knowledge tucked away in Scripture blows me away! The Bible has come alive to me in new ways many times as I read through book by book and verse by verse.

During my study of this resource, there must have been at least a dozen times that fresh understanding hit me about some portion of the Word while pouring over Learn the Bible in 24 Hours. It would make for a tremendously rich small group Bible study with skeptics and believers included.

My greatest example I will mention came as I read up more about Jesus' letters to the 7 Churches in Revelation. I won't detail those specific findings as I don't want to spoil anything for those who want to explore and discover these matters for themselves.

I will say that this book provides some outstanding commentary and understanding around the following controversial topics in Scripture (in no specific order):
  1. Eschatology
  2. God's continued plan for Israel
  3. Replacement Theology
  4. Predestination
  5. Genealogies
  6. Rapture (this section caused me to reassess some things)
  7. Revelation (especially tracking down its hundreds of OT allusions)




Check out Learn the Bible in 24 Hours

God bless you as you continue to seek His face in this new year! I hope this recommendation is helpful. As someone who has spent considerable time reading the Bible, I can attest that this book helped to open my mind up further to the incredible vastness, majesty and unfathomable riches laid up for us in Christ. It also succeeded in giving me that extra motivation to dig deeper and submit myself to the Spirit's counsel and influence in all things. May we all hunger and thirst for His Word this year with more intensity than we even have for our physical needs (Job 23:12)!



No comments:

Post a Comment